Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Esther Gets Her Grove Back

So hi blog, long time no see.

It has been over two years since I sat down at the computer with the sole purpose of writing for myself; for my own pleasure.

Ironically, this has been a period of my life where I have done pretty much nothing but parent, sleep and write.

My computer has been my friend, my foe, my solace and my prison. I have come here to become someone; I have come here to become a grown up, I have come here to become a writer.

I have ALWAYS loved words. I love looking at and saying words. I love new words and using words I just learned in a sentence.

I love they way some words sound. Like ukulele and palindrome and extraordinary.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love to talk and more recently I have even learned to listen.

I love to read, I love being read to. I love nothing more than listening to a wise man speak - snaps to you Dad.

I love books, I love lyrics, I love crosswords. I am a sucker for the written word.

So I guess it comes as no surprise to the rest of you that words have become more than an amateur passion. In the last two years I have bitten the bullet and gone pro.

I am now a jobbing wordsmith, a writer a
columnist, contributor, essayist, freelancer, scribbler or scribe.

It is a noble profession and I can't claim to take a wildly important or even slightly noble role in it but, here I am, working, writing, putting hands to keys and reading my words in print and, all of a sudden, I am someone.

Recently I have been consumed with my own absence from my life. Where did she go, that fun, slightly funky chic with ideas and her own purposeful - if sometimes misguided - kind of style?

Where am I, and who is this middle aged, boring old housewife living in my skin?

Well web log, I have come to say, here I am. I haven't quite decided what my new style is and I can't even be sure that I care but I am on my way back into my skin, slowly but surely.

Right now I know two things:
  1. the monkeys are amazing - the kind of naughty irritating amazing that can make you feel homicidal but amazing and I am responsible for a small part of that and
  2. I like my life - I like this new direction, I like writing and I know I am on my way to being the kind of person I want to be
For now, I'll enjoy the journey and I will write my own story, script my own return to form and, maybe even get my grove back at the same time.

No comments: