Monday, December 10, 2007

Baubles, Bangles, Bright Shiny Things

Check out my balls!

I love Christmas. I was told today that it is because I am still a child. I guess that's true. There is still a big part of me that is too excited to sleep on Christmas Eve.

Strangely, it has nothing to do with getting presents and everything to do with the 'magic of the festive season'. I love that for one day a year everyone believes in fairies or Santa or their own pagan jollyness.

For me there is an element of the 'keep the Christ in Christmas' about it. A very unpopular state of mind the other 364 days a year, just on the 25th of December, it's OK to go to church and be grateful to the big fella.

I try to live my life with a 'glass half full' attitude. I am committed to an 'attitude of gratitude' and I would like to think that I 'pay it forward' as often as I can. All cliches covered, I really do quietly, all year round, like to try to be the best, non homophobic (it's all about loving and being loved), non judgy (there is only one true judge), non pro life (every woman's right to choose), non preachy (the best evangelism is a spring in your step) kind of Christian.

I sometimes fail miserably. I am sometimes a vile old bitch who has nothing but mean things to say about everyone and everything but, Looking at the miracle that is the monkeys, it really cements my belief that 'you can't tell me God ain't good!'

It is really so unfashionable now that I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. Publishing this, even to my audience of me; putting it out in the public forum is kind of scary. I don't generally discuss my faith with anyone (except John and that's only when I fancy being personally held responsible for the Crusades and the Salem Witch Trials) so this, for me, is a pretty big deal.

Still, as the Salvation Army float said in the Johnsonville Lions Christmas Parade, 'Jesus is the Reason for the Season'.

No comments: