Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Hallo-weeny bit late


Forgot to post this at the time but so cute am posting it now. Totally irrelevant and out of context. Still, aren't my monkeys yummy??


Just sat down after marathon event/party/extravaganza.
John made me promise that next year would be much more low key and I agreed with my fingers crossed behind my back. By next year he will have forgotten how much work it was and how tired we
are. Parties are a little like child birth in that way. Hideous at the time but quite good when you look back at them.

I like Halloween. It is my very favourite holiday. With a focus on dressing up and eating. Surely it is truly a 'woman's' holiday.

We spent maybe a full 40 hour week getting ready. Halloween cookies shaped as skeletons, jack-o'lanterns, ghosts, bats and black cats; body parts cupcakes, pumpkin pizzas, the list goes on.

Poor John spent his evenings icing cookies and stringing cob
webs around the house. He's a good lad really and didn't complain once. He knows better! Last year he made that mistake and was greeted with a howling banshee. This year he just smiled, sighed and went about his assigned tasks.

Unfortunately, children's parties bring out the worst (or best depending how Martha Stewartesque you are) in my OCD and send me spiraling into a frenzy of trying to outdo my last years effort. I guess at least this way I'm always the winner.

The Monkeys were a vision of yummyness. Monkey Senior dressed as 'The Little Mermaid' and Monkey Junior as 'Nemo' or 'Flounder' if you're talking to his sister.
Monkey Junior screamed when we put his costume on (and for the next hour or so) and Monkey Senior screamed when it was time to take hers off. How are they both the product of one uterus?

Our house is small but normally we would use the word cosy to describe it. Today it was just small, small and hot and cramped. 16 sugared up children and their hungry, thirsty mums and dads were squeezed into our 30sqm living room. fueled with Halloween sugar cookies and candy, it was a sight to behold.

We went all old school and had bobbing for apples and a modern, more clean up friendly version of the treacle doorstop game (old Scottish game with a treacle covered slice of bread on a string). We also did a cracking game of statues to Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' and a hilarious children's version of 'Ghostbusters'.

We went trick-or-treating at the neighbour's. A truly wonderful thing to be given candy by strangers. Little did they know that muggins had provided all the candy and delivered it 'round the houses in the week before - all the expense none of the glory.

Anyway, a good time was had by all. And next year, don't tell John, but I'm bigger and better. Yay me!!!

No comments: